“For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it’s always ourselves we find in the sea.”
– e.e. cummings
Atlantic Ocean, Morrazo, Galicia, Spain. Photo by Paulo Brandao.
Celebrate the oceans today, and do something:
Be ocean-creative today – add your ocean photo, poem, message to the Ocean Story – a boat that will be wrapped in these photos and messages and sail across the sea. (Ocean Story, @OceanDelight)
2. Sponsor a sea turtle’s satellite tag or adopt a sea turtle – track their ocean voyages over time. (seaturtle.org, @seaturtle)
3. Carry a sustainable seafood guide in your wallet and use it when you dine out. (Monterey Bay Aquarium, @MontereyAq)
4. BYOB – bring your own bag when shopping, and everywhere you go – refuse the single-use bags (and other plastics) that are polluting our oceans and harming marine life. Click above to order Chico Bags, or find a long list of reader recs here.
5. Watch great talks about the oceans – Sylvia Earle on protecting our oceans, David Gallo on deep sea wonders, Edith Widder on weird, wonderful bioluminescence.
6. Read about the oceans, learn about them, experience them, follow ocean expeditions, support marine protected areas, and visit the sea, swim in it, dive in it, surf in it — simply renew your wonder of it and interest in it.
… and find more ways to make a difference for the oceans here, thanks to the MarineBio Conservation Society (@MBSociety)
* photo courtesy Paulo Brandao, under Creative Commons